Monday, June 21, 2010

"Corporations have mutated from organizations that once generated jobs, products and prosperity for the country into voracious, impenetrable monsters"

Halsey Minor is "disgusted by what corporate America has become," and includes a "personal example":

"I recently won an $8.57-million court judgment against the auction house Christie's. The jury found Christie's guilty of fraud, among other things, because it refused to return artwork it failed to sell on my behalf. Fraud is serious. If a jury had found me guilty of fraud, I'd probably be sent to jail and it would stick with me for the rest of my life. I would be ruined. For Christie's, whose namesake founder has been dead for hundreds of years, it's just a cost of doing business. No one from Christie's will endure any serious consequence because they are protected by a cloak of corporate immunity and obfuscation. Corporate law makes it so Christie's, a faceless legal entity, is responsible rather than the individual human beings who actually committed the offense."