Saturday, February 21, 2015

"It seems a month doesn’t go by without another artist being accused of copyright infringement."

Boodle Hatfield on the latest complaint against Richard Prince:  "This is another important example of copyright law being tested by digital developments. Again, it will be up to the courts to decide whether digital images are just another material that artists should be able to use like paint, or whether making money from another person’s creativity should always be forbidden."

Friday, February 20, 2015

Tell me again about the public trust (employment opportunity edition) (UPDATED)

A great job listing at the Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton, Mass.

Thanks to a loyal reader for the pointer.

UPDATE:  Another loyal reader points out that the job qualifications do not include any knowledge of "ethics."  Strange.

"The Artist Who Cried Copycat"

From the Art Market Monitor.

Monday, February 16, 2015

Another Prince Claim (UPDATED 2X)

Hrag Vartanian has the details at Hyperallergic.  My friend Sergio Muñoz Sarmiento is representing the photographer this time.

UPDATE:  Interesting take from Shane Ferro.

UPDATE 2:  New York Times story here.

Friday, February 13, 2015

They may as well have said: try to make sure your fair uses are fair

The College Art Association has released a "Code of Best Practices in Fair Use" and it's been getting a lot of attention.  You can read it here.  We talked about this in class last week and the consensus was it's pretty useless.  It says things like "artists should avoid uses of existing copyrighted material that do not generate new artistic meaning."  And "the use of preexisting work ... should be justified by the artistic objective."

I don't see how that brings much clarity to the issue.

"Could the 21st-century contemporary art boom be a bubble that never really bursts?"

Scott Reyburn in the NYT.  Or maybe it's not a bubble at all.

Monday, February 09, 2015

Suggested Dismissal Affirmed

The First Department has affirmed the dismissal of (most of) the lawsuit challenging the Met's admission policies.  The decision is here.  Good summary from Nicholas O'Donnell here.  Brian Boucher tweets "thank goodness, this stupid suit against the [museum] is finally done with" ... but that's not quite right.  As I explained after the lower court decision, "the part of the lawsuit alleging that the museum misleads people into thinking the admission fee is mandatory ... survives."

Friday, February 06, 2015

Corcoran Update (UPDATED)

Thorough report from Randy Kennedy in the Times.

UPDATE:  More from Holland Cotter:  "[T]he [Corcoran] had limited exhibition space and could show only a fraction of its holdings of 17,000 works. Now nearly half of them are being absorbed into the National Gallery of Art. And maybe just as important, the remainder will be parceled out to other Washington-area museums, raising the chances that, with a little schlepping, we’ll eventually be able to see more of the Corcoran than we could when it was intact."